Saturday, November 15, 2008

Venture Into Vintage




Every once in a while I venture into vintage, if not antique items. I especially have a fascination with vintage textiles and linens. This one in particular caught my eye. Tis the season and all.
It is a plain red cotton cloth with 8 replicas of the the candles/balls/ribbons and snowflakes all hand stitched or embroidered. Wow - what a ton of work was involved in the making of this. Having done my share of needlework I truly appreciate such items. However, finances intrude and I found myself wistfully listing this in my Etsy shop under Vintage.



I found this little gem in the same place as the Christmas one above - in almost pristine condition - it brings so many memories of my Grandparents - I remember my Grandmother having a tablecloth almost identical to this one.



And this last one - my Mom had the identical table cloth but in orange, browns and yellows rather than the green. Almost a Thanksgiving theme to this one but is suitable year round - at least my Mom used hers year round!
You can find these tablecloths in my Etsy shop at
http://www.oncottageway.etsy.com




I am a true vintage junkie, haunting rummage sales, thrift shops, yard sales, bazaars and auction sales. Often coming home empty handed but often enough I find some treasure I can't do without. Sometimes vintage fabrics and textiles, if not in great condition, find themselves recycled into some of my creations. I use cutter quilts for teddy bears, tote bags, coasters - you name it. Old chenille is a special favourite - and cutter pieces I use as linings in my totes, lining in baby bonnets, backing on baby blankets, again - teddy bears - whatever I can find to put it to a new and good use. In the picture below you can see one of my old quilt teddies. old quilt squares and bits of fabric, made into a baby size quilt, a rag doll made of scrips and scraps and if you look closely at the right hand side you'll see a primitive bunny made of recycled fuzzy fabric.

No comments: